Monday, June 11, 2012

How to Get Into Mischief at Work with a Kindle

Just the other day, my friend Betsy called me. She works for the government and is restricted to certain Internet websites while she is at work.

A while back, she tried to access my blog and a huge red stop sign popped up on her screen with an "Access Denied" message. She became upset and had to make several trips to the ladies room because she was afraid that the LAN administrator would report her to her manager, the Information Assurance Officer (IAO).

She told me about it and I went to Amazon to find out if I could make my blog available to kindle users. Betsy has owned a Kindle since last Christmas.

They accepted my content, which I knew wasn't red stop sign literature anyway, but what can you do? It was government red tape.

When my blog was made available, I noticed that it was lost among 5,000 other blogs that Amazon offered.

Another huddle with Betsy.

"Can you get interviewed by Clayton Morris at Fox and Friends," she asked.

"Would I be able to stay focused?" I asked.

"Knock it off, can you?"

"No, but I can probably get interviewed by Jerry Blavat," I said. "Me and the Geeter go back a long way."

We came up with a solution. Create a media release and circulate it only to publications and newsgroups that report on the Kindle:

For Immediate Release

Philadelphia, PA, (June 11, 2012) - Amazon.com has added Rosie's Renegade Humor Blog by Rose A. Valenta to their growing selection of Kindle offerings: Rosie's.

The Kindle, Amazon’s hugely successful e-book reader, not only offers users the opportunity to download books, but also the ability to access major newspapers, such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, and USA TODAY. Rosie’s Renegade Humor Blog is a perfect fit for the Kindle because the essays satire current events, and offer an entertaining respite from heavy news stories in a unique and hilarious way.

In a recent Internet survey of Kindle users, 47% of the respondents indicate that they access online newspapers at least once per day. Over 41% access blogs. These are people who prefer digital media over print newspapers and turn to the internet for much of their information. Rosie’s Renegade Humor Blog is ideally positioned to reach these people through the Kindle because of its large internet presence and intelligent themes.

“This is the blog for people who would be knowledgeable about current events and politics if only politicians and news anchors didn't stretch the truth, so what else is there to do, but share an honest laugh?" said Rose Valenta.

Columns include "Joe Biden's Gaffe Could Qualify for a Political Darwin Award," "Rush Limbaugh: The Don Rickles of Radio," "How Congress Failed Homeland Security Duties," and "The Mona Lisa Had High Cholesterol?"

Rose A. Valenta is a nationally syndicated humor columnist. Her columns have been published by the Yahoo Contributor Network and have appeared in USA TODAY, Newsday, NPR, Courier Post, the WSJ online and many other local news and radio websites. She is syndicated via Senior Wire to print newspapers.

For additional information, visit http://www.rosevalenta.com.

~

If you know anyone, who owns a Kindle and has a similar problem as Betsy, feel free to e-mail this article.

2 comments:

Mad Kane said...

Wonderfully helpful column! Thanks! You inspired me to rush right over to Amazon and register both of my blogs with Kindle. Hopefully, a Republican won't be reviewing my political satire blog. :)

P Shane McAfee said...

Cool advice. Thank you.